Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8 THC) has quickly become the second most sought-after derivative of the hemp plant after cannabidiol (CBD). It’s no surprise that so many people are seeking it out thanks to its extremely unique effects that impact the mind and body in a way that’s entirely one of a kind. At D8.co, our delta 8 products allow hemp enthusiasts to explore nothing but premium, lab-tested and federally compliant delta 8 THC to explore these unique effects for themselves. But, if there’s one question that we get asked the most by customers before they dive into the world of this exciting cannabinoid, it’s whether or not delta-8 will get them high.
What Exactly is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is a cannabinoid that naturally exists in the flowering buds of the hemp plant, alongside over 100 other cannabinoids that share a synergistic relationship with one another. Delta 8 makes up about 0.1% of the plant’s chemical composition, and was discovered back in 1965, just a year after the discovery of delta 9 THC.
Since delta-8 is a naturally occurring cannabinoid, anyone who uses hemp flower or full spectrum hemp extract has consumed it, but in a level so trace that they would not identify or experience its effects.
What is the Relationship Between Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC?
Delta 8 and delta 9 are both versions of THC compounds, and they actually share a lot more in common than you may think.
- Delta-8 THC is derived from delta-9 THC directly, as a portion of delta 9 converts into delta 8 as it oxidizes within the chemical structure of the plant.
- As delta 9 converts into delta 8, its characteristics, molecular structure, and properties change to become an entirely new cannabinoid that behaves differently from that which it originated from.
Delta-8 THC: A Legal High
Delta-8 THC is an intoxicating cannabinoid, meaning that it will get you high. And, the cannabinoid is legal thanks to the passing of the Farm Bill back in 2018, which made all hemp derivatives containing a maximum of 0.3% delta 9 THC legal under federal law. This is the main driver behind the success of the cannabinoid, as millions of Americans living in states in which marijuana is prohibited can opt for a similar enough high that comes with zero legal risk.
What are the Psychoactive Effects of Delta 8 THC?
Delta-8 THC’s intoxicating effects are compared to those of delta-9 THC all the time but are actually different in ways that any experienced cannabis user will notice immediately. As delta 9 converts into delta 8, it loses about 30% of its intoxicating nature, which comes from the manner in which it attaches to specific CB1 receptors in the brain that trigger a psychoactive response. Basically, this means that delta-8 is only 70% as intoxicating as delta-9, and therefore causes a milder high.
However, this doesn’t mean that delta8’s high is too weak for more experienced THC users. Many people find that it absolutely satisfies their desire for THC’s intoxicating effects, as the potency of it is strong enough to offer a high that’s very noticeable and enjoyable.
Also, many people have found that the high associated with delta-8 THC is less likely to disrupt mental clarity than delta-9 THC. Many of us know that consuming delta 9 comes with feelings of fogginess, grogginess and an inability to focus on thoughts and tasks. Delta 8 seems to be better during productive times when the user does not want their consciousness to be so altered.
Furthermore, the high associated with delta 8 seems to be very evening-oriented, as many say that it comes with a distinctive mellowing effect on both mood and mind. In other words, it’s not a cannabinoid associated with energizing effects. While many people do report euphoria, it isn’t the kind of euphoria that makes you feel stimulated and hyperalert.
Nature of Delta 8 Products on the Market
Like we said, the delta-8 THC that naturally exists in hemp is simply too low in concentration to produce these types of effects. But, the delta 8 market has emerged to offer users a potent delta 8 experience, with products that contain a delta-8 THC distillate. Delta 8 distillate is a purified and concentrated form of the cannabinoid that is easy to add to all kinds of formulas to introduce comparatively strong doses of delta 8 in each serving.
Can be found in all of your standard hemp product formulations, including:
- Vapes: Both delta 8 vape carts and delta 8 disposable vape pens offer fast-acting, potent and relatively short-lived servings of the delta 8 cannabinoid, while coming with the bonus of being available in a wide array of strains. Inhalable products typically offer the strongest cerebral high.
- Flower: Delta 8 flower is raw CBD flower infused with delta 8, and can be smoked, vaporized or even cooked with. Lots of strains are available on the market, and you can find delta 8 loose buds as well as pre-rolls.
- Edibles: Delta 8 edibles such as gummies deliver the longest-lasting high of all – up to 8 hours. While many say that the cerebral effects are slightly more subdued than with other methods, the body high tends to be the strongest.
- Tinctures: Delta 8 tinctures allow for an effect that’s somewhere between inhalable products and edibles, in terms of potency and duration of the high. They’re meant for sublingual absorption and come in dropper bottles that make dosing easy.
- Dabs: Delta 8 dabs are concentrates that are meant for more experienced users, as by nature, they are powerfully potent. These are flash-vaporized or “dabbed” through the use of a special type of dabbing device.
- Topicals: The only type of delta 8 product that won’t get you high is a topical solution because it’s applied to the skin, absorbing into the joints and muscles to offer only localized effects that never interact with the cannabinoid receptors responsible for intoxication.
What About the Delta-8 THC at D8.co?
Delta-8 THC is a psychoactive cannabinoid, and that’s the biggest reason why it’s so popular. Beginners interested in trying out this compound for the first time should always stick with a low dose, like half of a gummy or a single puff off of a vape, to develop a tolerance to its intoxicating effects which they are not used to. D8.co offers delta 8 products for beginners and advanced users alike, in sought-after formulas like gummies and vapes to ensure something for everyone.
SEO Description: One particular question that we get asked the most by customers before they dive into the world of this exciting cannabinoid, it is whether or not delta-8 THC will get them high.